KoolaidJunkie

Disable Built-in Mic??

[ Edited ]

Is there anyway to disable the Built-in Microphone, and use only an External Mic?

The Built-in Mic is picking up massive amounts of background noise (key clicks, etc)

I have a 100$ External Headphone/Microphone with noise cancelling, but its basically useless if the built-in mic is still working...

I've trying disabling it through  "Recording Devices." That disables the External aswell.

hitchcock

Re: Disable Built-in Mic??

I too need to disable the audio on the built in microphone. It is mixing with the external mic I plugged in on the right front panel. I have model: satellite A665. I wouldn't mind disabling the entire webcam!

Thank You and God Bless!

Bill

Super Advisor
miker643

For the built-in microphone, right click on the speaker icon in your system tray at the bottom right of your screen, left click on 'Recording devices', right click on your internal microphone, left click on 'Disable', click 'Apply' and 'OK'.

For the webcam, click on 'Start', type   dev   , and click 'Device Manager', click on the arrow beside 'Imaging devices', right click on your webcam, left click on 'Disable', exit 'Device manager'.

Good luck.

Mike

hitchcock

Many Thanks Mike. I was able to do everything you said except for one problem. The "Apply" tab never highlights. Help!

Bill

hitchcock

OK-New problem. I think I disabled the laptop mike and have the mini pin mic plugged in. Now my VU meters (Audacity & Adobe Sound Booth) are showing a pulsating type of display-But I'm not hearing anything. Help!

Super Advisor
miker643

I am not familiar with your external mic, Audacity, or Adobe Sound Booth. But, try to re-enable the (internal?) mic you disabled before, uninstall the software and the pin-mic driver and then un plug the pin mic. Then, disable the internal mic again, plug in the pin mic and install the pin-mic driver, make the pin-mic the default recording device, reinstall the software.

Good luck.

Mike

mrspcs

Perhaps my experience with the same problem in a Tecra 850 could help.

I do believe Toshiba has a serious problem with the Microphone (drivers ? software ?..). The quality of this piece of hardware is very poor, by the way.

Here is what happened to me when trying to do the very same thing you guys were trying to to (get rid of the built-in useless thing -noisy and worthless- and install an external unit).

I did get into the Microphone Properties dialog. At its bottom, "Device Usage" (the choices are 2:  "Use this device (enable)" and "Don't use this device (disable)".

The "Apply" button did lightup so I hit it. BIG MISTAKE !!! The entire "Recording option" disappears from the "Sound" menu. It simply says no device installed.

When that happens, you have no 'Microphone" dialog where you can configure the external device.

And what is WORSE, since the Microphone Properties dialog is LOST COMPLETELY, the only way to get it back (at least the only one I found) was with System Restore.

In summary, I you 'disable' the built-in mic, you are left with no dialog to configure your external unit.

And if you leave it 'enabled', they you are stuck with the noisy, useless thing.

I have even considered plugging the microphone orifice in the frame with glue or something....

So, the question remains: how can we 'disable' the built-in mic and still have a place to go and configure the external unit.

Another problem, and this one is probabaly specific of the Tecra as far as I know: the product description says "Microphone jack (mono), Headphone jack (stereo)". One would assume this is the tradicional 2 plugs, one for the mic and one for the headphones. NO !! It's just a single plug for a 3.5 mm jack.

Toshiba Tech Service (spoke with them a couple of times) were not sure whether this was a "shared" type of port (good !! the Tech Service unsure about their top of the line products.... real good Toshiba !!!). Meaning, if I got an adapter and converted the 2 jack headset into a 1 3.5 jack output (similar to adapters to use PC headphones in Cel phone's single jack plug) would it work ??

ANSWER: NO !!!

What if I plug just the Microphone in that Jack ?? DOSN'T WORK EITHER !!! No sound recorded (of course, it can't be configured !!).

The ONLY THING that can be plugged into that jack is a set of Earphones (just to listen).

In the end, I was tempted to buy a set of USB Headphones but gave it up. If I can't configure an external mic, it won't work regardless of where I plug it in (the built-in would still be messing it all up).

By the way, I put that Tecra on sale last week !! (after only 2 weeks with it...).

Too many "cheap" things for an almost $ 1000 unit.

Asking $ 750 and no takers so far. Next week I'll put it down to $ 700 (I will sell it at whatever price it takes to get rid of it).

Hope that helps and we get some solutions. This microphone deal seems to be a serious problem with various Toshiba laptops.

Thanks all and good luck !! 

mrspcs

Just to make sure I explained this clearly:

In the Microphone Properties dialog / Device usage options:

if you choose "disable" - Apply - OK: the entire Microphone dialog disappears (by the way, it also disappears from the options with right-clic on the task bar's "Sound" icon). 

You therefore don't have a dialog where to "enable" again !! It simply is gone entirely.

if you choose "enable" (as it comes from factory): you are stuck with that useless piece of hardware.

That's why I assume this is a problem with these units (have seen it at various models now) and Toshiba should come out and tell you guys how to solve it.

Built-in unit of such a poor quality that isn't even worth trying.

No way to configure an external unit

And, to boot, in some models (Tecra 850) there isn't even the possibility of plugging the extenal mic in the only jack in the unit and must go to USB headphone - microphone sets (but if you do, you won't be able to configure it !!!).

Doing great Toshiba.... 

Vestage

I solved this problem by going to Sounds, and disabling the internal microphone. You then get a message that says, No audio devices are installed. I plugged in my external mic, and when I right-clicked on that message, and clicked on, "Show disabled devices" my external mic was there, so it was easy to enable it...and it worked. As soon as I unplugged it, it defaulted back to the internal mic, which I disabled again.

TaurAudio

[ Edited ]

Using the information supplied above, I was able to disable the "on-board" microphone and still have use of an external device when needed..... I simply attach the desired Mic and the computer asks if it is a line or a mic that I have just connected.... I simply choose the correct option and go from there....

Oh yeah.... "grouping" the input jacks into one cancels out that annoying feedback problem too.

Thanks for the help and advice guys!!

lrmarker

[ Edited ]

I found how to re-enable the built in mic via Google.  Microsoft says to re-enable it (in Windows 7), go to the Control Panel, click on Sound, go to the Recording devices tab and rt-click on the WINDOW where it says no devices installed.  Click on Show Disabled Devices, and the mic will show up.  Right-click it and choose Enable.

Thebaron

I tried this and it now says disabled but the mic still picks up sound. Please help. Are there drivers that fix this? I also tried muting everything and still receive an input from the mic.
Occasional Contributor
ShadowFalls

If you go into Control Panel and bring up "Sound", you should be able to set a default device. I am unsure of which type of mic you have, whether it is USB or not. But if it is not USB, when you plug it in, you should have the option of setting it to be the microphone and that is the end of it.

RRMD2007

DISABLE BUILT-IN MIC - Windows Vista ONLY

DISABLE BUILT-IN MIC.  THIS IS FOR WINDOWS VISTA ONLY.

1. Click the speaker icon on the taskbar and go to PLAYBACK DEVICES

2. Click PROPERTIES this opens a windows with four tabs choose LEVELS

3. The 3rd slider reads MICROPHONE click on the MUTE. This WILL without a doubt shut down the buiit-in Mic.

eJoy

alexx

Re: Disable Built-in Mic?? But onboard mic has disappeared from device list

How can I disable the onboard mic when it has magically disappeared from the device list?

I can't access it through any of the standard avenues.  And suspect it is the cause of significant audio problems on conference calls.