lamebear

Cannot Turn Audio Up!

Just purchased this laptop (L455-S5045) from Walmart. Audio will not turn up. I can hear the audio fairly ok, as long as there is no other noise going on in the room. Anyone having this problem, and/or is there a "fix" for it?

My previous Toshiba Laptop had no problem turning up the sound! Would appreciate your input here.

granbren

Re: Cannot Turn Audio Up!

Hello, I have a brand new windows 7 home premium sattelite L505 same problem as yours. Toshiba gives me no help or fixes except restore it to factory settings. This will wipe out 70 updates plus all I have set up..see gran bren reply to jerry. I am at a real catch 22.  This has been this way since it came out of the box..from hh gregg. when I go in to test, it always says..this device is working properly, even though  it shows test failed. The volume bars are at 100% with some noise very low, coming from speakers. If I put my big speakers on it (as Toshiba directed)  then I have some sound but no one wants to have to use big speakers with a laptop. I hope you can do better than me with this.   I have no ideas.  Apparently Toshiba has none either.

lamebear

Thanks for the info. From what I've read on a lot of these forums, lots of people are having problems with Toshiba's audio on their laptops!!  I honestly believe it is a hardware problem and that Toshiba should do a recall, and/or fix this problem for free, to the people that request it! I have checked everything, including drivers, and everything that I can check is as it should be. Nothing left but hardware problem, cheap no good speakers or something of that nature. Mine was like this out of the box to, so it is at MANUFACTURER SETTINGS! Toshiba had better get on the ball and fix this for free, or my next laptop (very soon) is going to be a Sony. I'm tired of Toshiba's crap, screen went out on my other Toshiba laptop after only 2 years of use, and it never moved from my desk, so it wasn't caused by mishandling the laptop! Time to change Manufacturers I guess. Thanks again.

Occasional Advisor
bennor

Here is one suggested fix that works for many of us who experience the low sound issues on Toshiba laptops that use the Realtek HD Audio drivers. These directions are for Windows 7, other operating systems may require a slightly different set of steps. 

First, Download and install the latest Realtek HD Audio drivers from the Realtek website. If the ".exe" or executable file version of the Realtek HD audio driver is downloaded, this file may need to be run twice (run installer, reboot computer, run the installer a second time, then reboot the computer a second time) to properly install the audio driver.

Second, once the audio drivers have been updated, enable "Loudness Equalization" on either the Start --> Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Realtek HD Audio Manager --> Sound Effects tab, then click OK to save the setting change. Or on the Start --> Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Sound --> Speaker Properties (select Speakers then the Properties button) --> Enhancements tab, scroll down the list of sound effects to enable "Loudness Equalization" then select the OK button to save the setting changes.

Once the Realtek drivers have been updated and the "Loudness Equalization" has been enabled the system sound audio level is much louder, however the DVD and Audio CD audio levels might continue to be low for some users. Some find that setting the Equalizer, found under the Realtek HD Audio Manager Sound Effects tab or on the Speaker Enhancement tab, to "Powerful" seems to help with the sound levels.