MISSYJ1
Accepted Solution

Can't control volume on keyboard of Satellite C655

I cannot seem to control the volume on my laptop unless I do it the long way (hidden icons + speakers + adjust volume). I should be able to access a "hot key" of some sort, but I cannot locate one. It looks as if I should be able to hit the Fn + 4 key. However, the Fn key only serves to bring up the keys operated with F1 - F9. I hope y'all can understand what it is I am trying to say! Thanks!  :smileyfrustrated:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Can't control volume on keyboard of Satellite C655

What happens if you press and hold the 3 or the 4 key while the Fn key is depressed?

Always tell us which Satellite C655 you have when you post here. There is a label on the bottom.

-Jerry
MISSYJ1

I got it!!! I'm used to the volume control showing up on the screen and it doesn't but the volume control does work with the Fn + 3 or 4. Thanks so much!!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I kind of figured you hadn't given it a fair shot.

-Jerry
Laurabo

read you advice and it's working but was confused as to why this just started. I've never had to use the fn key before tonight. What could the reason be?

Occasional Contributor
flare

This is a really old thread that you just dug up, but to answer your question: You may have had it set to fn off before, that switches the fn keys with their counterparts. Have you been into the BIOS at all, that's where they're changed at.

DrPain

Jerry, I read you post with interest because I am having the same problem. I have a Satellite C655-S5090 and this is a Win7 Home Edition 64bit. Now having said that (which makes me sound like I know something), I am a 74 year old newbie. I had to look for the Fn key because I had never paid any attention to it before. I tried holding it down while pressing the 3 and the 4 (didn't understand why the 3 vs the 4). What happened was my volume went from 98% to 100% but it is so pathetically weak. My wife can't hear any U-tube vids on my system and just brings it up on her own desktop cpu. What do I have to do (in real baby language...step-by-step) to increase my volume? My hearing is admittedly not what it used to be 50 years ago but this is really bad. I did check for driver update and was told I've got the latest and greatest.

DrPain