softballgirl44d

Netflix

Is there any news on Netflix for the Thrive?  I'm waiting to see if it is available before I buy a Thrive.  I can get it on my Evo so... If not coming to the Thrive, I'll wait for the Evo view 10".

cj96035

Re: Netflix

Not ready for prime time, no Netflix or hulu makes me wonder why I got a thrive. O and no spell check here on the support site
Misk

Just fyi, it is not a Thrive issue. Netflix as far as I know isn't available on any Honeycomb tablet.
hleumas

One work around if you have a computer you've got sitting all alone on a desk now that you've got a shiny new Thrive:

I downloaded Splashtop HD on my Thrive last night. I can control my laptop and watch movies/play games with no problems whatsoever. Netflix works wonderfully.

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

I bought the tab to give the laptop a rest (though this will be a slow transition :smileyindifferent:).  So I don't even have silverlight on my win7 machine, netflix goes through my Roku box.

They say they are developing for honeycomb - but time will tell.  After the price increase, switching to streaming only - but I have a DVR, and there is only so much TV I can watch.  If they don't come up with an App (everyone is an Ipad fan boy - want controlled enviornment - HBO2go, Comcast On Demand, etc - only work on Ipad), I'm cancelling netflix and downgrading cable.  Recognition of other platforms out there is rather important to me - and I will pay the people that support such platgorms (A roku box is plenty handy for getting all sorts of streaming content).

I DO have an amazon Prime membership, and can stream movies pretty good through the Dolphin HD Browser (haven't tried dolphin mini yet - hard to go full screen without lagging).  But the stock browser TOTALLY SUCKS at watching streaming movies on the tab.

Otherwise, they have some good apps for strreaming TV if you know the channels (and read the reviews).  Working the laptop from my Tab is a WAYS off for me personally.

rkeith

*bump*

Seriously, where is the Netflix app guys?

I love my Thrive, pretty satisfied with nearly everything about it but the lack of a legit functioning Netflix app is killing me.

Most people do not want to root their tablets just to get this functionality or pay $3.99 per individual movie for streaming, or use one of the other less than ideal alternatives to Netflix.

Toshiba, please at least give us a timeline or a status update on this.

hleumas

rkeith wrote:

Toshiba, please at least give us a timeline or a status update on this.

This isn't a Toshiba issue. It is up to Netflix to make their app compatible with the Thrive.

Though if you take a look online, the Netflix apk (app installation file) is out there and you can install it outside of the market. I haven't tried playing movies yet, but I am able to search for movies and modify my queue.

rkeith

Hmm..

OK, I accept that the ball is in Netflix' court so-to-speak, but is there nothing Toshiba can do to meet them halfway? It seems like this would be a major selling point if they could just get it going.

I'm tired of being told to root my tablet and I'm not interested in all the headaches that may come along with that. I don't want to remote access my desktop computer to stream Netflix either.

It seems like neither Netflix nor Toshiba have anything to say about this and that's disappointing quite frankly. In the meantime there are only crap alternatives. Paying $3.99 per movie to stream from the Android marketplace in lower quality than Netflix usually gave me for $9 a month sucks.

rkeith

I hate to be "that guy" but I am almost beginning to question my purchase. If I knew there'd be a Netflix app in 6 months even then I'd almost be OK with that. But to see that every **bleep** iPad has it, the freakin Nintendo 3DS which no one buys even has a Netflix streaming app.

and Toshiba and Netflix have nothing to say...

I feel like we are just going to get passed over and then Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 tablets will all have this feature and we will be left hanging or expected to root or buy a new tablet.

210Ner

As I browse through the Q's and A's....I felt the need to say something.

The availability of a Netflix app Android has ABSOLUTELY, ZERO, NADA, NOTHING TO DO WITH TOSHIBA!

It's really a NETFLIX-ANDROID/GOOGLE issue. Just a fact of the Android tab life at the moment.

Take a peek at the Samsung, Acer, Asus TF, and any other Android Honeycomb tab...they do not have the app either.

It will come, but you just have to be patient.  Netflix was not available on Android phones for the longest time (unless rooted, of course).  The phone app for Android was recently released to a large number of devices.  So, it proves they are working on it. BE PATIENT.

I love Netflix too, believe me!  Of course, if you really want the app, go for an ipad (but I wouldn't).

Sorry to sound original, but the fact remains that Toshiba is not responsible for this "issue". :smileyhappy:

mesentery

If you cant wait for the Netflix app and have a pc on your wifi connection, you can try PlayOn... it's a little spendy but works for more than Netflix.
clbiggins83

Just google netflix APK and a download site from xda developers will come up and you can download it via third party...I DL'ed it on my phone and samsung tablet and it works JUST FINE.  I wasn't sure if I could post the link, but yeah, here you have it...

clbiggins83

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1076150

Only one way to find out... here is the link to get netflix via third party... let me know if it works for the thrive...worked well on the Samsung 10.1

Occasional Contributor
elmonteslim

Here's something from another forum: After realizing that the first honeycomb tablet had been certified in the most recent release / update to Netflix, I wondered if it would work on my Thrive. My phone was also on that list (Galaxy S). So, I downloaded it from the Market, dropbox'ed it to my Tablet and it works! 

http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-apps/1145-app-working-netflix-honeycomb.html

clbiggins83

Yay!!! So glad to hear!! Xda developers are so awesome
Occasional Contributor
hlb3

I tried that one a couple days ago and it wouldn't install.
clbiggins83

The one on the XDA site? If so, what error messagedid it give?
Beagledog

Ummmm, my above post didn't show up. So, I downloaded from xda site, installed okay, but always get error of not connecting to Netflix server when trying to play video.
clbiggins83

Try powering off and then turning back on..also go to market and see if an update is due for it
Occasional Contributor
elmonteslim

This looks like proof of someone having streaming Netflix on their Thrive---albeit a rooted Thrive.

http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-apps/1966-i-fixed-netflix-issue.html

And if you wanna root: http://tabletroms.com/index.php/2011/08/18/toshiba-thrive-easy-root/

There's a video that shows you how to do it. I haven't done it myself.