neilisme

Grrrr....browser that fully supports flash/java?????

when will the default browser FULLY support java and flash? many sites i've come across wont work and say "download java" or flash? shipping a product without a fully functional browser is unacceptable! Also its highly annoying when mobile sites keep loading! this is a laptop replacement....why would they ship it with a stupid mobile browser??? ebay absolutely wont work properly, many gaming sites like pogo just wont work because of poor java/flash support. also on a side note, editing text is attrocious! why no **bleep** arrow keys???? another note, firefox and opera are at best in alpha stage and are much, much worse! im very disappointed in toshiba for making their customers guinea pigs...no properly working browser? SOD problems? Force Closes on that stupid ltdolservice thingy? What is up with you guys....REALLY?

Occasional Contributor
hlb3

Re: Grrrr....browser that fully supports flash/java?????

Don't like it the browser on mobile? Why not change the settings to desktop? Want a keyboard with arrows? Why not download one from the market? Flash not showing up? Have you bothered to check for the Flash update?
Occasional Contributor
hitokiri

download dolphinHD browser.

Also, Flash needs to be updated to get a bunch of the kinks worked out (not Toshiba's fault)

Also, the default browser has nothing to do with Toshiba either as Honeycomb is pretty much stock on this tab

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

[ Edited ]

Use dolphin HD, set to Desktop, and set plug ins to always on.  Its not the best, you may need to set up your accounts on another computer (I had to do this with HBO Go web site), but you should be able to browse almost normally.

I already knew about the problems with Fire fox prior to getting the thrive (I use firefox with add ons on my lap top).  So you are pretty much stuck with pseudo clunky browsers on a tablet.  Its really not a Lap top replacement at this time (personally, I wouldn't do any online banking, etc on the tablet).  I bought it for relaxing on the couch and playing or crusing while watching TV - not so big a a 15" lap top, and saves wear and tear on Lap top.

Occasional Contributor
hitokiri

actually, i would set the browser to open the plugin when clicked.

some sites are flash heavy and when they all run at the same time, it gets slow and choppy. It's only a tab after all

neilisme

a tablet that costs MORE than some notebooks, not a notebook replacement? REALLY? Shipping a 579 dollar device without a fully functioning browser? REALLY? ive tried all the kludgy workarounds like about;debug, dolphin HD, firefox, opera...still not working...REALLY? its not toshibas fault? REALLY? would you buy a car and not blame the manufacturer if the 3rd party brakes dont work? REALLY? its not the manufacturers responsibility to test these things? all of these things ARE 100% TOSHIBAS FAULT!!! ARE YOU STUPID? A REAL TOSHIBA FANBOY? gimme a break! TOSHIBA: FIX THE **bleep** TABLET! IRRESPONSIBILITY AMONG MANUFACTURERS IS RUNNING RAMPANT. sorry about the rant, im really frustrated with this piece of junk and will be returning it! extremely disappointed!

Occasional Contributor
hlb3

Bye
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

neilisme,

This is an Android tablet not a Windows PC.  Toshiba has provided hardware and software support for functionality beyond what is available from other vendors but if you're looking for the same functionality as a Windows laptop then this is not the category of product that you want.  My personal laptop preference is Toshiba's Portege product line...

Jim

Occasional Advisor
makarios

I agree with Jim, and thanks to Deedawg I installed splashtop hd on my tablet and can actually control the laptop with the tablet, listen to music on my iTunes, watch netflix, etc, and even use chrome or firefox.  For ten bucks I can't find a better option to make my thrive behave like my laptop, it is actually using my laptop (or desktop if I wanted) right on my tab screen.  You can dowload it from the market, 10 bucks, cheap.

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

Will need to keep Splash Top HD in mind, still fine with Laptop on Computer stand, and Tab on couch.

Occasional Advisor
tz

As to keyboards, check the marketplace for replacement keyboards.  I have the free "hacker keyboard" that lets me do the hold-up alternate character, has the numbers above the letters and has arrow keys.

Flash works on the default browser, Dolphin HD, and Dolphin Pad.  It doesn't work on firefox (at least not yet).

I don't know about Java.  That might be another, different plug-in.  But you are pushing it.  The iPad doesn't allow Flash or any plugins to Safari.  VLC doesn't have one yet.  Quicktime doesn't.