BarryD
Accepted Solution

Access Desktop from WiFi Connection

Hi all,

I've had my 16Gb Thrive for two weeks now and have no issues at all. Never had a SOD or any other problems.

My question is a general one about WiFi network connections - I'm new to it. I have a DSL connection from my phone line company's modem/router which then goes to a Linksys WiFi router. My desktop is then wired from the Linksys. I can connect to the Web just fine with my Thrive, an Ipod Touch, and a Nook Color.

Is there a way that I can use the Thrive to see and access files on my desktop through that direct wired connection? I've already transfered files using the WEB via dropbox, the USB cable, and SD Cards. I'm just wondering if, since the desktop is already wired to the linksys router, I could just access files that way. I can't find any instructions to do it, so maybe the desktop connection is just a pass-thru.

Love my Thrive,
BarryD

Occasional Advisor
tz

Re: Access Desktop from WiFi Connection

If you are running Windows and enable sharing, most of the file managers (from the market: ghost commander, filemanager HD) can find the shares and you can transfer files back and forth.  Mac has a similar sharing setting in the Preferences - turn on windows sharing.  You might need to find the IP address, but FMHD has a scan.

BarryD

Re: Access Desktop from WiFi Connection

Thanks tz

Got Ghost Commander. Works great and I was able to access just about everything on the Win7 desktop. Don't know how much I'm going to need to use it, but it's nice to know it works. I like the dual screen interface in Ghost Comm.

BarryD