Occasional Contributor
hitokiri

unlocked bootloader?

Does this have an unlocked bootloader?

Would like to see cynogenmod come out for the thrive :smileyhappy:

Occasional Advisor
makarios

Re: unlocked bootloader?

I agree, and I am sure the guys at XDA are already working on it; those guys are amazing.  Sooner or later we will get there I think, this is a beast of a tablet and I really like it, but I will like it more when the devs come up with their magic.  Good point.  Have you asked the question at XDA?

Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

As everyone is more than likely aware, it appears that we did have an unlocked bootloader and devs at Toshiba THRiVE Forums and TabletROMs gave us root tools (and our freedom!).

However, I am beginning to hear something that extremely bothers me....  There are rumors that upcoming updates will come with a locked bootloader.  I am not sure from where or why this is happening (it's not as if the THRiVE is one of the many Android devices that mobile carriers are hocking and therefore want locked). 

I would hate to see this happen to the THRiVE.  As I feel the most ardent backers and hearty recommendations to support Toshiba and the THRiVE are coming from the community that really like their hardware & OS dished out with a liberal dose of freedom.  Locking them out, will only hamper Toshiba's hopes of playing catch-up with Motorola, Samsung and the other early tablet manufacturers.

sgthwjack

Well said! I am new to the Thrive but the unlocked bootloader was a major consideration in my decision to purchase it. I will NOT purchase any device in the future that denies me the ability to utilize it in whatever fashion I see fit. Sorry to be so blunt but this is something I feel very strongly about. Toshiba would be wise to reconsider this if they indeed plan to proceed. If one wants hand-holding, buy an IPad!

Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

It looks like the bootloader may still be unlocked in the future.  However, it does look like Toshiba may be disabling fastboot access.  I keep a lot of data and apps on my THRiVE and without root, I am unable to completely backup my unit.  I have had to do a factory wipe data/cache at least once so far.  I need some means of protecting my data and retrieving it should something like this happen again. 

Please Toshiba, don't prevent us from utilizing our wonderful Android/Honeycomb device to its fullest potential.

Slynk2

It would be pretty difficult for them to lock the bootloader or disable fastboot at this point. The updates are just scripts that patch or completely replace files... and they are not encrypted. Which means any changes are easily viewable and alterable by hackers. The only security, I believe, is update files are signed. But with root, you can patch things on your own without going through Toshiba's patch system so the point is moot. I'd hope Toshiba would be brave enough to NOT lock it down after the hurdle we had to go through getting the source code released. They can either try to stifle the creative nature of system hacking or embrace it, letting it be a selling point. The choice is theirs.
Regular Advisor
austeregrim

[ Edited ]

slynk, although yes patches can be extracted and modified, etc. but if someone unsuspectingly updates their thrive with a locking patch, they will no longer have the freedom to root or backup their system.

But without toshiba confirming or denying that they will release this locker patch, that was released in beta tests, this becomes suspect that they are willing to do it without end user knowlege. Very Very Very misleading and disapointing.

I'm waiting for a response from toshiba regarding this. But they seem to not do anything on these forums for support anyway.

- Signature Starts Now -
I don't work for Toshiba, so please consider my advice Free; like Open Source.
*OH HAIZ! I rooted teh Thrives*
- End Signature -
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

austeregrim,

I've already stated that I can't respond to rumors about future software updates here

For that matter, anyone who has first hand information is beta testing for Toshiba and is under a non-disclosure agreement so is legally bound not to share any information about it.

Jim

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

[ Edited ]

Why Jim? There is nothing secret or potentially damaging to the company if you explain this. Whats with the secrecy here? I don't see the need for this "we wont talk about it" attitude. 

Now if you were planning on some big addition to android, or a particular release, hey I understand you don't want to get undercut by a competitor. But seriously, a feature, that you're going to take away? You want to keep tightlipped about? Again, this isn't something of national security, and this certanly isn't some trade secret!

All I'm saying is; the open community gave linux for android, android is the os on the device, give us 'the open community' something back, more than just "we wont discuss it". Because honestly, staying quiet, is making you as a company look worse, in my opinion.

I'm not trying to badmouth toshiba, I'm just enlightening the people from what I know... rumors as it may be.

- Signature Starts Now -
- End Signature -
Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

1)  There is nothing "official" about any upcoming update(s).  So how can Jim respond?  Until it's official, anything can change and it would certainly be a PR mess if we were told one thing based on "possible" update features and they did not occur as stated.

2)  Even if Android/Linux is "open-sourced", Toshiba has proprietary components that they have rights and need to keep underwraps until the deem it "safe" or necessary to release.

Unitl then, all we can do is wait, and of course voice our wishes for a continued "open" THRiVE and one that is not reduced or comprimised from the one we purchased (and love).

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

mcarver2000 wrote:

1)  There is nothing "official" about any upcoming update(s).  So how can Jim respond?  Until it's official, anything can change and it would certainly be a PR mess if we were told one thing based on "possible" update features and they did not occur as stated.

2)  Even if Android/Linux is "open-sourced", Toshiba has proprietary components that they have rights and need to keep underwraps until the deem it "safe" or necessary to release.

Unitl then, all we can do is wait, and of course voice our wishes for a continued "open" THRiVE and one that is not reduced or comprimised from the one we purchased (and love).

1) Who cares if they want to make an "official statement", it doesn't have to be official for them to come out and say, "Yes, we're looking at locking it down." Or "We are sorry that the beta info got out, it was only a test, and we have no intention of locking down your thrives." 
2) I'm not saying release any proprietary information. I'm just saying let us know of your intentions. I'm not even asking for files or data, we've got all the stuff we need via the source requests.
I'm only saying that it's a little messed up what they are doing, by keeping owners in the dark. We're in a new age of computing, and they're trying to act like companies in the dark ages of computing, like apple still does. "No one knows what were going to do next, until people buy the next hardware." (Yes I'm being a little extravagent about that commentary quote... but it's the feeling.) In a world of bug trackers and updates every night, ie. nightlies, in the current open source world. Big companies just aren't being friendly, or following structure and standard. It's their choice, but I'm asking why?
And also, hear our cry, for keeping it open. :smileytongue:

- Signature Starts Now -
- End Signature -
Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

[ Edited ]

austeregrim,

The "rumor" that we are losing fastboot on upcoming updates was started by a beta tester. To the best of my knowledge, this individual signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Any statement by them was in violation of this NDA. The fact that there is even a beta going on is a violation of the NDA. It really makes it hard for an "employee" of Toshiba to make a comment on something that "technically" doesn't even exist. That being said ...

Now that the cat is out of the bag (rumor or not), it would/should be in Toshiba's interest to explain to their users (and potential owners) whether there are plans to keep the THRiVE open as it has been from release, or if there are plans to lock it down from development in any manner. I am sure that if Jim was given any clearance to let us know, we would know. All we can do is continue to put pressure on Toshiba to be more forthcoming (here and in other forums/blogs/etc.).

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

mcarver2000 wrote:

austeregrim,

The "rumor" that we are losing fastboot on upcoming updates was started by a beta tester. To the best of my knowledge, this individual signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Any statement by them was in violation of this NDA. The fact that there is even a beta going on is a violation of the NDA. It really makes it hard for an "employee" of Toshiba to make a comment on something that "technically" doesn't even exist. That being said ...

Now that the cat is out of the bag (rumor or not), it would/should be in Toshiba's interest to explain to their users (and potential owners) whether there are plans to keep the THRiVE open as it has been from release, or if there are plans to lock it down from development in any manner. I am sure that if Jim was given any clearance to let us know, we would know. All we can do is continue to put pressure on Toshiba to be more forthcoming (here and in other forums/blogs/etc.).

I agree. But my point is, why are they being so secretive about updates? They have no need to be.

If they're working on a bug then let us know. It doesn't hurt us to say, "here's what we're working on fixing."

"Here's what we're doing"

Let us know you're still active on the device, to support it, to fix it. That tells the community that you're actually willing to work with people. Keeping secrets means you have something to hide, what is it that they aren't telling us?

At least give us something to chew on... not go behind our backs and close something... or break something.

- Signature Starts Now -
- End Signature -