Regular Advisor
austeregrim

Thrive to lose fastboot

[ Edited ]

So I hear Toshiba is closing off fastboot in a new update.

This prevents anyone from having control of their hardware, including making backups of their system and down to rooting, and making and updating custom roms. 

I feel this is a blatant attack on our personal use of hardware we purchased and own

We aren't under a contract by a cell service provider, and we should not be subject to such brash behavior by Toshiba.

More importantly, this is being provided in an update, as a way to dupe you into removing your access to fastboot. This is an unfair and unruly tactic, to remove a capability that we as owners of the hardware should be provided.

These are our hardware, and we should be allowed to use what ever software we choose on them.

Do not remove fastboot toshiba. You will lose my support for your awesomeness as a company. 

- Signature Starts Now -
I don't work for Toshiba, so please consider my advice Free; like Open Source.
*OH HAIZ! I rooted teh Thrives*
- End Signature -
Regular Advisor
austeregrim

Re: Thrive to lose fastboot

For those that don't know. 

I've been supporting the Thrive community in rooting the thrive since pretty much day 1.

It's been a long road, and we were just released source code that we can provide better updates than toshiba can. With a community of devlopers. This is the greatness that is open source.

With toshiba threatening to remove fastboot, we limit our capabilities to provide community driven support, and development.

This is an aweful thing for toshiba to do, and prove that they do not approve of openness in the community.

Please help me make a stand, even if you don't use rooting, or ever need to, this capability helps make development and community driven support better.

I love my thrive, but this is a big dissapointment.

- Signature Starts Now -
- End Signature -
jomcty

Ditto.

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

[ Edited ]

And to be clear, the capability we provide to give people root access, we've also given the ability to return back to stock.

We have never prevented people from returning to a stock image to continue toshiba's updates.

But in return toshiba wants to prevent us from providing custom updates, this is unjust, and just a shame on toshiba.

- Signature Starts Now -
- End Signature -
WindowWasher

Ditto.  I purchased this hardware and it was sold with fastboot installed.  An update that removes it will remove functionality that I count on to make backups and use during development.

Rest assured that if this change goes in this will be the last Toshiba product that I buy.

Occasional Contributor
oaklands

Jim,

Please make sure this gets to corporate.  If it had not been for the developers rooting the Toshiba Thrive, the device would have been useless to me.  I now have the capabilities to log into my customers machines thanks to rooting and adding adhoc support.  Many times I am on the road and get a support call and need to pull of the road to assist a customer. 

I did a lot of research before buying the Thrive and have recommended it to others.  I see why your company took so long to release the code to the developers.  You were making your plan to cut them off in their tracks.

Several people have bought the thrive due to my suggestion.  I will be talking to the recent buyers about returning the device and looking elsewhere.  Also, I will be sending a letter out to all my business affiliates to rescinding my messages to them to look at the thrive as a solution.  I have successfully made this device replace my laptop and now I see Toshiba pull this stunt.

Not only is this unprofessional, but I consider it a "Bait and Switch" tactic to get a customer to buy your product then make a major change that could turn my product into a useless piece of "JUNK."

I would appreciate a reply in this thread as to if this system is going to be remedied or if you are going to stand by these changes.

Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

One of the primary reasons I selected the THRiVE was due to its openness. If this move goes forward, I was mislead in my purchase. Toshiba's & THRiVE's most ardent supporters (and salesmen) have been from the development community and those that have taken advantage of openness of the THRiVE. Toshiba, don't bite the hand that feeds you, please for your sake and ours.
Occasional Contributor
Alcatraz

Bump,totally Agree with this, Toshiba removing fastboot is pretty much them bricking my thrive for me.
Occasional Contributor
oaklands

I can tell you that 1 is already on it's way back to the retailer.

Burstaholic

[ Edited ]

This news immediately halted my plans to buy a Thrive. It's very frustrating to research and narrow the field down to the perfect tablet, only to learn that it is about to become useless.

Time to start my search over. I'll buy a tablet from a manufacturer that treats their customers better.

I consider this equivalent to a "We hate you," message from Toshiba to Thrive owners.

sgthwjack

While I may not return my Thrive, I will certainly NOT recommend this device to anyone if Toshiba does remove the Fastboot capability. It was this capability that tipped the scales in favor of the Thrive and I too feel that it would constitute "bad faith" at the very least. "Nuff said, for now.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

All,

I can't respond to rumors about future software updates. The controversy and complaints are currently unfounded since no actual release with the rumored change has occurred. 

Jim

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

I understand your position.

But take this as a preperation for what's coming... if the rumored happens to be true.

I won't update, like many now.

- Signature Starts Now -
- End Signature -
sgthwjack

austeregrim wrote:

I understand your position.

But take this as a preperation for what's coming... if the rumored happens to be true.

I won't update, like many now.

+1 on that for sure and for certain! No updates for me either, until they have been passed by the devs!

Occasional Contributor
oaklands

Thank goodness I have had the Service station frozen by Titanium Backup since I rooted the device.  Jim, it would probably be a good idea to let them know the feeling of their customers on this subject.  If I had wanted an Apple product, I would have bought one.

Many Thrives have been sold as a result of current customers recommending them to people.  At the present time, most of us will not be recommending the product until we know this is not going to happen.  My sister was going to buy one today and I told her to hold off. 

While the update may not be released, we do know it is being tested as one of the beta testers had to send his back to get it reflashed.  Things like this don't usually get tested if there is no intention of releasing it. 

Efforts could be better spent working on a 3.2 release which your new product will be starting with and we are still without, then starting on an ICS release.  They should concentrate their efforts on enhancing our use of this product and not limiting it.

robfenn

[ Edited ]

Jim, please find out if there is any truth to this.  

I also have a client I have put on hold from buying until this matter is straightened out.  I personally, was looking forward to the AT-200 but if this "rumor" is true, I will be done with Toshiba products and will never be able to recommend them.  This would make my Thrive almost useless for me.

From reading other forums, there are a lot of future customers holding off, new customers planning on returning their Thrive, and customers out of the return window simply will never update or sell theirs on eBay.  Please get with whomever you need to and let us know ASAP as we all need to make plans for the future.  If this is just a "rumor" then Toshiba needs to release a statement to end this now.

Burstaholic

Jim: Exactly. What came down to beta testers this time should never become official.

bigguy48

If I wanted an ipad I would have bought one. I wanted a better product, from a better company. Now it seems its all the same. Why should Toshiba care what its customers do with their laptops? Or their tablets? Or any other product they make and put out there for sale? If open source will sell more, what will the opposite do?
rhorn

If this is truth of how Toshiba will traet us after buying, I for one will be returning one Thrive and dropping plans on buying a second one

rhorn

Occasional Contributor
oaklands

Just to let you know, another person is taking a wait and see attitude. He was going to buy a 2nd thrive and is returning his 1st one until there is clarification on this matter.