Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Option for OTA reversion from 31.5.0011 to 3.1.5.0032

The following info comes from Support Bulletin # 98083827, available here.

--------------------------------------------

Toshiba has disabled Fastboot in Android images that support DRM content, as a security measure in compliance with Toshiba's security policy.

For developers or users that require this function, Toshiba supports rolling back to a previous Android image with Fastboot. After the image has been rolled back the Fastboot function will be restored, however DRM-enabled content services such as Google Videos will not be available. 

Please note that image updates that support DRM content will continue to be offered to the user through the Service Station update utility.  Users requiring Fastboot should not Install these updates, as doing so will, once again, disable this function.

---------------------

If you have installed 31.5.0011 and wish to revert to 3.1.5.0032 follow the above link for access to an APK which will enable that option in Service Station.

Jim

Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

Re: Option for OTA reversion from 31.5.0011 to 3.1.5.0032

While I know there are going to be some EXTREMELY unhappy (and vocal) campers about this, I wish to express my thanks to Toshiba for at least providing us the ability to roll back out of a fastboot-less state.  This is a compromise, and one that many manufactures/vendors/carriers, will not and do not offer their users.

Thanks Toshiba, at least, for understanding and doing your best to work with your users.

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

I agree. Although I understand the reasons behind it, it is sad. 

And I assume our being vocal about the removal of fastboot was what pushed toshiba's hands to give this capability to restore fastboot. In an attempt to be slightly more giving to the dev community. 

And for that, I thank you.

- Signature Starts Now -
I don't work for Toshiba, so please consider my advice Free; like Open Source.
*OH HAIZ! I rooted teh Thrives*
- End Signature -
Occasional Builder
DeeDawg

With respect, I think that thanking Toshiba for providing rollback, and for telling us in this forum that the new update disables fastboot, is a lot like thanking a bully for spitting on you rather than punching you.

Think about it:

1. Thanks for telling us about the disablement of fastboot? C'mon. The right place to announce the disablement of fastboot would have been in the update's release notes, not in a forum thread that probably fewer than one in a hundred Thrive owners will ever read. It is a very major change in the new update; of course it should be announced in the release notes, not in some obscure little corner of the web.

2. It is equally silly to thank Tosh for providing rollback. What Tosh has told you here is "you can choose to have root, but if you do then you can never again have a system update...you're stuck with Honeycomb till you finally throw away your Thrive." If they were genuinely concerned with the developer community they would have given us a real choice: "You can have DRM, but no root, or you can have root, but no DRM." All that would be required would be for updates to check for root, and if it finds it disable DRM and the apps which require it. Presumably there are three reasons they didn't go that route: (i) it would require some actual...you know...coding, rather than simply hitting the 'delete' key; (ii) there's no percentage in it for Toshiba...Tosh can make money without even thinking by supporting DRM, but can't think of any way to make money by supporting root; and (iii) Tosh doesn't give a flying fig about the developer community, nor about its customers who benefit from the great solutions those devs deliver for the many bugs and bad design issues Tosh leaves unaddressed.

"Thanks?" You're kidding me, right? I mean, 'Thanks'???? Why not "hit me again"?
Occasional Contributor
Steerpike

The rollback doesn't work for me because service station doesn't work after the update. No fastboot any more so I can't fix it that way. Thoughts?

Regular Advisor
dalepl

You can download the roll back update from here:  Official HMJ37.31.5.0011 to HMJ37.01.5.0032 Rollback OTA

It is the official OTA that would be downloaded by the Service Station and is signed by Toshiba, so it will load via the stock recovery.

Paul L. Dale
Thrive Developer - ThriveForums.org
NigelCunningham

Hi Jim. I'm Australia based. My wife and I purchased Thrives (or AT 100s, as they're called here) last week, and I'm interested in having a go at getting TuxOnIce (the kernel hibernation patch) working on my tablet. I'd done the upgrade from the stock kernel to the update release last week, and after reading posts here, wanted to downgrade so I can try the root / custom kernel path. The procedure isn't working for me, probably because my version numbers don't match. My tablet reports its kernel as 2.6.36.3-00062-gab8fc7b. Is there something I can do? Thanks for your work. Nigel
Peter

[ Edited ]

Nigel,

You'll need to contact your region's Toshiba support about getting it working. As there are differences in the hardware, US one region's updates won't work on devices from different regions.

- Peter
Regular Advisor
austeregrim

Updates are made to not work accross regions, but they can be forced via rooting methods, and using the US Region's system image. Although do it at your own risk, because hardware may be different, and suggested software (system images) may be restricted in your location. 

So I'll leave it as not recommended.

But there are rooted versions of the other regions system. @ thriveforums (dot) com.

- Signature Starts Now -
I don't work for Toshiba, so please consider my advice Free; like Open Source.
*OH HAIZ! I rooted teh Thrives*
- End Signature -
cultureulterior

Will this also work for the Thrive 7'? Since you have the highest resolution in the 7 inch space, I'm interested in buying a Thrive, but I won't buy one that can't be rooted- I'll buy a flyer instead- no offence meant.

Occasional Contributor
pinoyswap

I found this in the Toshiba support website and might be of help.

Not sure if this will work on the Thrive 7 though.

Document ID: 98083827
The Android Fastboot function is disabled after installing the latest update.

Information:

Toshiba has disabled Fastboot in Android images that support DRM content, as a security measure in compliance with Toshiba's security policy. 

For developers or users that require this function, Toshiba supports rolling back to a previous Android image with Fastboot. After the image has been rolled back the Fastboot function will be restored, however DRM-enabled content services such as Google Videos will not be available. 

Please note that image updates that support DRM content will continue to be offered to the user through the Service Station update utility.  User’s requiring Fastboot should not Install these updates, as doing so will, once again, disable this function.