windozer

My Experience as an Android Dev with Toshiba Excite. AT200 - Frustrating

I ordered an Excite as soon as it is available in the US market. As soon as I unboxed it, my first set was to enable the USB development option and plugged it into the computer. As usual, The ADB device drivers are not released by Toshiba. So I tried to use the same trick I used with THRiVE with stock ADB drivers.

Windows recognized the device but ADB doesn't. Isn't it wonderful? Since then I have been trying to access ADB using the EXCiTE without any success. What is it with Toshiba and ADB Drivers? I talked to the Customer Support and they acted like they had no clue about ADB drivers. So as a developer, the EXCiTE is a was of money.

It would have been salvageable even if Toshiba provided an option to enable ADB via TCP/IP which is trivial to Toshiba and will free them forever from providing a USB driver. But no luck.

So let me say this upfront. If I wanted a tablet that I could not develop Apps for, I would have purchased an iPad as without ADB both are equally useless to an Android Dev.

PS: I still love the THRiVE because of ADB and the USB Host ports.

dogfunky

Re: My Experience as an Android Dev with Toshiba Excite. AT200 - Frustrating

Have you found out anything else since you posted this? I'm looking to root my Excite and unlock the bootloader in hopes to install Windows 8 on an microSD card.

Hopefully somebody finds something. I like my Excite, but if I could switch the OS it would be more valuable to me.

windozer

One word : NOPE.

I could not even get the ADB working. Forget bootloader and the good stuff. I am planning to return the tablet soon if the ADB is not released. Thats one less customer/dev for excite.

windozer

Hi guys,
  I just acheived ADB connection to excite. It is not via USB but I can still work with it so I am not worried.
  I found out that the adb works without any issues in the linux environment. So, i followed the steps outlined below,
  1) Enable USB development on excite.  

2) Plug it into a linux machine with adb working  

3) run adb devices  

4) We can see the excite listed  

5) i executed 'adb tcpip xxxx'. now the adb in excite is set to run via tcpip  

6) now from the development machine execute 'adb connect yyyy:xxxx', where yyyy is the ip address of your excite and xxxx is the port you picked in previous address.  

7) Voila! now you have ADB working from you Windows PC
I hope this helps folks with windows adb
Cheers,

Windozer     

windozer

I do not know who marked it as solved, but that was a kludge. Now a solution. I am still waiting for the ADB drivers to be released. What stumps me is that the ADB works just fine under linux and just does not work under windows.

Houssem

dontbelieve

Is there anyone whom i can seek for developing my desired Android application.? I am ready to pay too.