Occasional Contributor
hippyrandall

Re: Kernal source code

Jim,

I really don't have an actual timeframe. "A few weeks" is a bit vague.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Agreed... that's a little vague.  I'm inclined to interpret it as 3 weeks and willing to escalate if you've not received the disc or heard anything 3 full weeks after the date of the email message quoting that time frame.  What was that date?

Jim

Occasional Contributor
hippyrandall

from Linux Information for TOSHIBA PC linux@toshiba-dme.co.jp

to "hippyrandall@gmail.com"

date Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:02 AM

subject Re: Kernel source code

Aug 11

Dear Mr. ***********,

Thank you for your request and information. Now, the OSS of your request ,THRiVE souce code, is under the way of disclosure.It may take a few weeks. We will contact you again as soon as we finish the procedure. Again, thank you very much for your patience. Yours sincerely, ____________________________________________________ | Linux Section of TOSHIBA DIGITAL MEDIA ENGINEERING Corp. | _________________________________________________ | | Linux Information for TOSHIBA PC Website | |http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux/index.htm | | |

Administrator
jim

>>date Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:02 AM

Ok, that's what I needed to know to pull the trigger.  Please see my PM...

Jim

Occasional Contributor
DJ_Steve

jim i should mention i got the same reply albeit a week or so after (aug22 here) and still no further reply, just letting you know info

Android OS Developer, Current Android Devices, Nexus One, Dell Streak 5, Dell Streak 7 4G, Motorola Atrix, NI Adam, Toshiba Thrive 8gb
Administrator
jim

DJ_Steve,

So it's been about 2-1/2 weeks for you.  Please ping me, either here or with a PM, if you haven't heard anything by this time next week.

Jim

Occasional Builder
DeeDawg

...at which time it will have been about THREE and a half weeks.... Jim, have you spoken with the relevant people at Toshiba? Is there a target release date? Or is Toshiba still just giving itself the benefit of the doubt...in the hope that the source code will miraculously descend from the sky?
Occasional Contributor
DJ_Steve

ok i have stil not heard or received anything and i dont honestly expect to , i dont believe toshiba are wanting to release the kernel source a bit like htc tried to avoid it for a long period - i am NOT having a go at you jim its just my general observation

Android OS Developer, Current Android Devices, Nexus One, Dell Streak 5, Dell Streak 7 4G, Motorola Atrix, NI Adam, Toshiba Thrive 8gb
Occasional Contributor
DJ_Steve

Any updates on this Jim, Toshiba are close to getting a report sent to gpl violations about this now
Administrator
jim

[ Edited ]

DJ_Steve,

I'm not in the process loop so wouldn't have visibility to progress for individual requests.  I escalated @hippyrandall's specific issue a week ago and followed up on that earlier today.

Now that it has been 3 weeks since you received you emailing the email quoting a time frame of "a few weeks" I'll escalate yours as well.  I'll send you a Private Message requesting some specific details needed in order for me to escalate.

Jim

UPDATE: Corrected insanely bizarre grammar

Occasional Contributor
DJ_Steve

OK no problem jim
Occasional Contributor
flipper44

This is definitely Alarming for me...It all but guarantees that their will never be another Toshiba Android device in my ownership ever again...We are way passed the mandatory date for release, and Toshiba is in violation.

I bought the THRiVE for the full ports and on the assumption Toshiba would be an upright citizen in the Android community, and assuming they would want to help a fledgling development community out.

Occasional Contributor
hippyrandall

flipper44 said: " and assuming they would want to help a fledgling development community out."

you know what happens when you assume, right? :robotmad:

Occasional Contributor
hippyrandall

Jim,

I take it there is nothing new to report? By my count it has been 7 weeks since I made my request. 7 * 7 = 49 days = 19 days overdue (based on the 30 day policy. However the product was released prior to when I made my request on August 11th so it has actually been far longer. :robotsad:)

Hippy Randall

Occasional Contributor
flipper44

Sorry Jim very frustrated and my response showed it....

FYI Its now 73 days...43 days past and Overdue on the LPGL agreement.

Ive read a few post of people going through the process to report this.

I hope after this, Toshiba will learn its lesson and do what the Tablet manufacturers that have had dedicated users have done...and will release the Code before the tablets release...It helps get developers on Board quickly...Everyone that I know that owns Android devices does customizations.

My next tablet, which will be coming soon, will require this pre-release before i purchase, I will not trust, I will verify.......I was so hopeful when I found out the bootloader was unlocked, and Toshiba had maintenence release weekly early on, but the 73 days has ended that.

Awesome Machine, Awesome Ports, Just doesn't do All it can do because of this.

Occasional Contributor
hippyrandall

Jim, I received an email today with a tracking number for the CD with the source code on it but the tracking code isn't working. Was this email for real or just another stall tactic?
Administrator
jim

Of course, not all delays are intentional stalling tactics. I don't believe there has been any stalling whatsoever, though I understand that we may have differing opinions about that.

While I have no information regarding the email you refer to except your message itself, I see no reason to think that any of the emails you've received from linux@toshiba-dme.co.jp are not legitimate. As you know, the email address is published on Toshiba's Linux developers page at http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux/eng/develop.htm. 

Jim

Occasional Contributor
hippyrandall

Jim,

Fair enough. I guess my disbelief stems from the fact that I cannot find any way to track this shipment. I have tried UPS and a few google search results for "Yamato" but all my efforts lead to "Unknown tracking number/information".

Email:

Dear Mr._____________,

We would like to inform you that the source code which
you have requested was shipped out to your designated address.
Here is the shipping details as follows;

*Ship via : UPS with YAMATO
*UPS tracking number : redacted
*Ship date : Sept. 22, 2011
*ETA : within one week
*Description of goods : CD-ROM
*Quantity : 1 pc

Thank you for your patience on this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Slaghead

Give it a day or two to register on the UPS website.  They print a label and drop the package into a bin/stack and it won't register to track until UPS scans it into their system.  I seriously doubt they'd give you a bad tracking number.

Slynk2

Since my other account was apparently perma banned, not a 6 day banned like it said, I made a new account to update this thread. (Other account would not let me post new replies to any thread nor make new threads.)

Location Date Local Time Activity

Narita, Japan09/24/20119:43 P.M.Departure Scan
 09/24/20111:23 P.M.Export Scan
 09/24/20119:57 A.M.Origin Scan
Japan09/22/201112:03 A.M.Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Seems it really is being shipped out. Hopefully it's the real deal. Thanks jim for pressing the issue (assuming you had some influence.) :smileytongue: