Drum_747

Kernal source code

Jim, when will Toshiba be releasing the Kernal source code? The Thrive has been out for 2 weeks now? Asus released prior to releasing their tablet and Motorola released the day the Xoom came out. Can you please tell us when we can expect it? Thanks!
Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

Re: Kernal source code

This would also be nice (a +1)

drinxalotta40z

I am also waiting for Toshiba to release kernel source.

Misk

+1 I believe there are alot of people that are waiting for this. Isn't this required within a month?

Occasional Contributor
DrWho

sign.  Please release the kernel source code.

Drum_747

Jim, any update please?
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Drum_747,

I don't know what the obligations are for manufacturers (as opposed to Google/Android themselves), and don't have any info about plans at Toshiba at this time but will investigate.

Jim

Drum_747

It is 30 days by law. After 30 days you are issued a warning. After another 30 days action can be taken. As you may know HTC was just forced to release some code that they would not release. The development community will support you a lot more if you just release the code. Asus releasing their code before the Transformer was even released has set the bar. You are behind at this point. Please make a move. We would apprediate it.
Drum_747

Oh, obviosly I am not talking about HC, just the kernal source code please.
jomcty

It is my understanding that Google is not releasing the source for Honeycomb. Google will instead release the sources when Ice Cream Sandwitch is released.

Drum_747

Not talking about Honeycomb. Im referring to the kernal source code. Its a GPL issue.
Occasional Advisor
tz

The GPL v2 and later requires source corresponding to distributed binaries, that said Google is providing the binaries (I assume - if Toshiba doesn't modify it), they should provide the source.  Toshiba can simply mirror it

Google once in reply to Steve Jobs asking "what is open" gave a git command line.

The FSF will quibble GPLv3 allows internet posting of source, but GPLv2 was written before the internet - you need to have source alongside binary, and since I didn't see the source on my Thrive or on media accompanying it (I once got a router that had a source directory on the doc/install disc), you need to provide a written offer of source on a standard medium... Read the compliance guide and the text of the GPL(v2) itself.

This goes beyond the kernel to any GPLv2 components included.  It doesn't apply to BSD or most other licenses.

Occasional Contributor
DJ_Steve

the kernel source is gpl and REQUIRED to be released by toshiba within 30 days of starting sales of the device, the android source is under apache license so they do NOT have to release its sources at all and google are not releasing the honeycomb source to public except for the gpl v2/v3 parts thereof which are already available on the android aosp git (android.git.kernel.org)

so toshiba needs to get working on releasing their kernel sources asap before they start getting into very deep water with regards to breeching gpl...im talking from experiance here having worked on 2 dell devices and another tablet where the kernel source was not dropepd within the acceptable timeframe 

Android OS Developer, Current Android Devices, Nexus One, Dell Streak 5, Dell Streak 7 4G, Motorola Atrix, NI Adam, Toshiba Thrive 8gb
Administrator
jim

All,

Interesting discussion and the input is appreciated.  

I want to point out that the Forums Terms of Service prohibit messages that include legal threats against Toshiba, while acknowledging that to the best of my knowledge no direct threats have been made.

The postings seem intended to inform or state perspectives and, in some cases, request information from Toshiba. However, no Legal staff participate in these forums and I don't anticipate this topic being directly addressed by Toshiba in these support community message boards.

Jim

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

So interested participants need to contact your legal team?

jim wrote:

All,

Interesting discussion and the input is appreciated.  

I want to point out that the Forums Terms of Service prohibit messages that include legal threats against Toshiba, while acknowledging that to the best of my knowledge no direct threats have been made.

The postings seem intended to inform or state perspectives and, in some cases, request information from Toshiba. However, no Legal staff participate in these forums and I don't anticipate this topic being directly addressed by Toshiba in these support community message boards.

Jim

Occasional Contributor
DJ_Steve

i apologise if my post seemed threating jim, but you are correct in assuming i am just stating a fact about gpl as per my own experiance, 

Android OS Developer, Current Android Devices, Nexus One, Dell Streak 5, Dell Streak 7 4G, Motorola Atrix, NI Adam, Toshiba Thrive 8gb
drum747

Jim,

Any update on this at all? If not can you please post an email to your legal department so we can contact them directly with the question?

Thanks Jim, we appreciate your efforts!

Occasional Contributor
flipper44

Any News On this ANYONE...This is way past due...especially considering the Australian release date

Administrator
jim

[ Edited ]

Just a quick note to say that I'll post here if I get any news on this topic.

Update: The kernel source can be requested from http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux/eng/develop.htm .  If I have any further updates I'll post to this thread.

Jim

Occasional Contributor
flipper44

OK Jim...What Levels Internally have you contacted?

I'm surprised their isn't more Upheaval on this topic here or online yet.

Most companies get trampled on by the owners and bloggers when It gets even close to the mandatory 30 days, yet alone past it.

I don't want our THRiVES to get a bad image, esp. after the SOD (which was splattered all over evrey Android tablet Site)...yet hardly a mention about the fact we've had 3 updates already...Good press never travels as far as bad.