Occasional Contributor
GeneS
Accepted Solution

Capslock status display has disappeared

I have a new DX735-ST5N02 aio. It used to have a little display in the lower right corner above the notification area that told me the status of the Capslock, Numlock, and something else. I do not know the name of the utility that did this, but it has disappeared. I have gone through the User's Guide, and have found no mention of it. I have launched almost all of the installed utilities, and cannot find it. Does anyone know the name of the utility, and how to get it back? (And what did I do to lose it?)

Thanks,

Gene

Peter

Re: Capslock status display has disappeared

I didn't even realize it had that feature, but it definitely does. It is possible to minimize it, which would put it into the notification area. Hit the little up arrow button to expand the notification area. Check the icons you see there. It looks like a bit like a blue circle bordered by black lines. Something like |O|

If you don't see it there, let's see if we can figure out which utility installs it. I'm honestly not positive.

Darfon USB Keyboard Driver(v1.00.006; 09-20-2011; 5.62M)

Toshiba Value Added Package(v1.6.3.64WW2; 08-04-2011; 86.37M)

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
GeneS

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply. The icon is not in the Notification area (or the pop up area when you click the triangle). I also clicked the Customize link where you can change the Notication Area settings, because usually icons for other programs that have recently appeared are present there, but it was not there.

I noticed the Darfon driver in your message was an update, so I installed it, but it did not fix the problem. The Value Added Package is the same one already installed, so I used the Toshiba Application Installer to reinstall it, so I would not have to download it. The "Repair" option went quickly and Finished, but did not ask me to reboot. So I rebooted anyway, and nothing changed. So I came back to your message, clicked on the link, and downloaded the package from Toshiba. The installation again went very fast, and when Finished it again did not ask me to reboot, suggesting not much was changed. I rebooted anyway and the tool still is not present.

When you hover over the tool, or over its icon in the Notification Area, what does the tooltip tell you it is called? Would that help me search for it?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Gene

Peter

It doesn't seem to give any indication, but I'll continue to try to figure it out. Meanwhile, try reinstalling the TouchScreen driver. I realize we don't have an issue with the touchscreen, but this driver is only for our AIOs, and only the AIOs have this caps/num/scroll lock application. Maybe they're bundled?

TouchScreen Software(v3.1.6.0; 08-09-2011; 8.8M)

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
GeneS

Hi Peter,

I reinstalled the Touchscreen software, with no change. This driver gave me the option of Repair, not just the option of Modify, so I chose Repair.

I have gone into Ease of Access in Control Panel, and turned on Toggle Keys, so I will at least hear a tone if I accidentally turn off Capslock or Numlock, but I sure would like to get the little display back. Is there any chance that changing the Desktop background and Screensaver could affect it? You would not think so. I chose features built into Windows, nothing third-party.

I unlocked the Taskbar and one by one selected all the Toolbars. They turn out to actually be toolbars; none of them turn on this keystroke display.

I appreciate your help. Any other suggestions?

Regards,

Gene

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Maybe it's the keyboard driver, Gene. Have you opened Keyboard in Control Panel?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
GeneS

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the suggestion. I examined the Keyboard Control Panel, and found nothing that helped. Then I put Control Panel in icon mode and looked at any that might possibly be related.

I think I'm looking for a Toshiba-supplied utility, but nothing installed on the Start menu is helping.

Gene

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Gene--Try looking at those found here:  C:/Program Files/Toshiba/TOSAPINS/CompS1. All the Drivers originally installed on this computer are listed there and can be reinstalled from there.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Occasional Contributor
GeneS

Thanks, C.B. This folder has 41 drivers in it. I decided before trying all of them I would call Toshiba tech support. The level 1 tech had never heard of this problem and had not seen this utility before. After suggesting System Restore he finally passed me to a level 2 tech. She insists this is not a Toshiba utility, but is something in Windows. She had not seen it before, and left the phone to go look at an AIO in the office. It does not have this utility on it. She connected to my computer using LogMeIn and looked through the Control Panel. Then she Googled Caps Lock Indicator and took me to some sites for third-party utilities. The first site Norton blocked as a known malware site! In the end she insists it is a Microsoft tool and the only thing she can recommend is System Restore or a complete Recovery to a new state, requiring me reinstall everything.

Peter, you see this on your screen. Can you find out anything about its Properties? Anything to help me locate it?

I have gone through the Services Management Console, looking at each Service that is running or could be turned on, and none of them suggest anything about a Capslock indicator.

I am really stuck. Does anyone have more suggestions?

Thanks,

Gene

Peter

I do not have access to the machine right now, but as soon as I do again, I will check.

It was a freshly recovered machine, and it had the indicator tool on it. I don't know if Toshiba designed the utility, but it certainly comes with the AIO I tested!

- Peter
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Gene--Is there any chance that it was included by Toshiba in the file called "Desktop Gadget Gallery"?  If you have it on your machine, it will be at Start/All Programs/Desktop Gadget Gallery. Another way to navigate to it is Drive C:/Program Files/Windows Sidebar/Gadgets.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Occasional Contributor
GeneS

Hi C.B.,

Thanks. I checked Sidebar in both Program Files and Programs Files (x86), (this is a 64-bit version of Win 7), and neither one had a gadget other than the ones that show up in the Gadget Gallery accessed by right clicking on the Desktop and selecting Gadgets.

I too had wondered if this utility had been a gadget, and have already searched Microsoft's Gadget web site.

I have found Microsoft support forums going back as far as 2005 discussing a Caps Lock Indicator pop up associated with Microsoft keyboards, but this is a Toshiba keyboard, so none of the discussions apply.

Regards,

Gene

Sfin78

It is called Toshiba Keyboard indicator so it is definitely a Toshiba app. Good Luck with Toshibas Tech support because they have yet been able to help me with my HDMI-In not working.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Found it Gene!!!  The file you need is tostogkeymon.exe.  Should be found at Program Files/Toshiba/Flash Cards/tostogkeymon.exe. Also should be listed under Task Manager/Processes if you have it. I googled Toshiba Keyboard Indicator and one of the answers was the following:  http://systemexplorer.net/db/tostogkeymon.exe.html

C.B.

Occasional Contributor
GeneS

Thank you Sfin78 and C.B.,

The file TosTogKeyMon.exe is indeed in the Program Files folder you name, C.B. When I manually launch it the toolbar appears!

I rebooted and it did not reappear. So I launched msconfig and in the Startup tab I found an entry for it, with it checked to start at Startup. The filename and registry entry are correct. (I opened regedit and checked the setting and it is present as "Run".) I then clicked the Start button, All Programs, and right clicked on Startup. I first clicked Open then repeated it and clicked Open all users. The program shortcut is not in either folder. I would not expect it to be present in the Startup folder since it is in the registry as "Run" at startup (right?). If I launch Task Manager and look on the Processes tab it is not running. If I manually launch the program it appears on the Processes tab.

So everything looks correct except it is not starting up at boot time.

I searched through Norton Internet Security to see if it was blocking the file and found nothing that suggested that, but I do not know if I saw every nook and cranny of Norton. Norton certainly does not stop it from launching manually. Norton was the first program I installed when I got the computer, and the toolbar worked for the first week or so.

I right-clicked on the executable and checked permissions. Both the System and Administrator have Full Control, Modify, Read & execute, Read, and Write permissions. Users have only Read & execute, and Read permissions. That should be enough to launch it, right? Should I give Users all the other permissions? Can one of you please check the permissions on your system, and see if Users have more permissions than Read & execute, and Read? I am the only User account on the computer.

Does anyone know why a program listed in the registry as "Run" (with a correct path, etc.) does not start with Windows? (The actual entry is HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.)

I think the next thing after hearing from any of you is to call Toshiba again, then  maybe try some Microsoft forum. Finally, if nothing else works I can place a shortcut to the program in the Startup folder.

Thanks so much all of you. I will leave this as not yet resolved, and see if we can get it launching with Windows. In the meantime thank you C.B. for finding it.

Regards,

Gene

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Please show us the entry, Gene. Attach a pictture something like this with the command line showing.

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

I'm glad it's working for you, Gene, but your deeper questions are a bit too much for this 83 year old.:smileyhappy:

Now I must confess, I can't even understand why it's so important to you since there are indicator lights on your keyboard telling you when each of those functions are operative. If I had it on any computer of mine, that would be the first thing I deleted.  Different strokes for different folks though!:smileyindifferent:

C.B.

Occasional Contributor
GeneS

Jerry,

Sorry for the delay; it has been a busy weekend. Thanks for your help.

I cannot figure out how to insert the picture into the message, so am attaching it as an attachment.

Regards,

Gene

Occasional Contributor
GeneS

Hi C.B.,

I bought my first computer in 1987, and have owned Toshiba laptops since about 1993. This is their new Desktop All-in-One with a wireless keyboard and mouse. It is the first computer I have owned that does not have indicator lights on the keyboard. It has one light marked with a battery symbol, but I have never seen it light up. I assume it will tell me when the battery is getting low.

Now that I can manually start the utility I am attaching a graphic showing Numlock on and CapsLock and Scroll Lock off. (I cannot figure out how to insert the graphic into the message, as Jerry did.)

By the way, this keyboard is not as nice as their laptop keyboards. The keys are slick and flat, with little space between them. It is difficult to tell where you are on the keyboard without looking. I am giving it time, hoping I can get used to it. Otherwise, I will buy a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, and give up one of the USB ports.

Thanks again for finding the utility for me. Now to get it to start automatically.

Regards,

Gene

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Ok Gene, I didn't realize that AIO's had a different keyboard than Laptop's and Desktop's.  Your delay in answering Jerry may mean quite a delay in hearing from him.  He has or is about to take off on a 10 day trip. I hope he sees your message before he leaves.

I know you want to get this thing to start up automatically but at least you can have it manually in the interim.  I have one application that I've never been able to get to startup automatically but, in my case, it's not too big a bother because I rarely turn my machine off or do a restart.  I use Sleep all the time.

I haven't yet seen the Toshiba AIO but I did see an HP model at Office Depot recently and thought it was quite nice.

C.B.